Branham High School
A message from Principal Cheryl Lawton:
Welcome to Branham High School!
For the 2020-21 school year, we look forward to continuing to further expand on the many different programs and opportunities we offer for our students, as well as continue our commitment to provide a model of innovative education. While a Distance Learning model may not be ideal and our methods may be different, our goals are still the same. We expect all students to graduate from Branham having completed a full UC A-G curriculum along with vocational exposure so that they are both college and career eligible and prepared. No matter how many times they might change their minds about what they want to do after high school, we want to ensure that all doors are open to them now as well as in the future.
College and Career => Eligible and Prepared:
- Regardless of program, all students will be challenged with a rigorous, engaging, standards-based curriculum that meets 4-year college eligibility requirements.
- A range of dual enrollment classes sponsored by West Valley College will continue to be offered to Branham students each semester for additional enrichment and college exposure. [Typically on campus, but will be online for Fall 2020.]
- Opportunities for Career-Technical Education (CTE) exploration and experience will be provided through the College and Career Center, Work Experience, SVCTE, and Advisory programs.
Focus on the ‘Whole Child’:
(Based on student and parent survey results as well as feedback from our community, we are focusing our resources on not only academics and career exploration, but also on our students’ social-emotional needs.)
- We are the first school within CUHSD to provide a campus Wellness Center. Staffed by a full-time Social Worker, we are able to offer both students and families a range of mental health, crisis support, drug and alcohol intervention, grief counseling, and healthy relationship development, among other services. We are hopeful that this will become a positive model for all schools in CUHSD.
- Branham staff participate in specific and targeted professional development aimed at supporting student social-emotional health.
New state-of-the-art Science Lab classrooms:
- The newly completed science buildings at the corner of Dent and Branham house our Living Earth (Biology), Chemistry, Physics, PLTW and math classes.
- Now that all construction is complete, for those who need to enter the campus during the school day, the only entrance will be through the main office. Other gates on campus will be locked to prevent
- An additional 50 high-definition cameras with infrared night vision and Internet access are being installed throughout campus during Fall 2019. More will be installed once new buildings are complete.
- Classrooms are now equipped with communication systems that allow for whole-school and individual room voice and digital exchange of information.
- Plans are being made to purchase/install new keyless door-lock systems that allow for school staff to lock/unlock doors quickly in the event of an emergency both with a card or remotely. We expect these to be installed campus-wide for the 2020-21 school year.
Athletics- most Measure AA bond work is now complete. This includes:
- Football Stadium: New Scoreboards, Press Box, Audio, Lighting
- Fields: New Dugouts, Scoreboards, Landscape
- Large Gym: Air conditioning and Seismic Retrofitting
- Pool: The new olympic-sized swimming pool allows for safe diving and other water sports
Research shows that students are more successful and well-rounded when their parents are involved in their school. We hope you will join us in helping to make the educational experience for all of our students even stronger. If you are a parent or community member, get involved. During Distance Learning, check in on your students from time to time while they are participating in their classes so you get an idea of what they are learning, When it's safe to come back to campus, attend one of the PTSA/Administration-sponsored Parent Information Nights or a showcase, performance or athletic event. Participate on one (or more!) of our many parent organizations such as PTSA, English Learner Advisory Committee (ELAC), Music Boosters, and/or Athletic Boosters. Participate as a guest speaker or job-shadow/internship host. Or make a financial donation to support the Wellness Center and/or general school programs. The opportunities are many, and the effects will make a huge difference for our students as well as the entire Branham High School community.
We are excited to have you as a member of our Branham family! Go Bruins!
With warmest regards,