Work Permits

Except in limited circumstances defined in law and summarized in the Child Labor Law Booklet, all minors under 18 years of age employed in the state of California must have a permit to work.

After an employer agrees to hire a minor, the minor obtains from his or her school a Department of Education form entitled "Statement of Intent to Employ Minor and Request for Work Permit." The form must be completed by the minor and the employer and signed by the minor's parent or guardian and the employer. After returning the completed and signed form to the school, school officials may issue the permit to employ and work.


Permits issued during the school year expire five days after the opening of the next succeeding school year and must be renewed. Students will need a new permit for each job they hold.


Instructions for obtaining your work permit:

  1. Complete the work permit application in full to include the employer information and your parent or legal guardian's signature. 
  2. Return the signed application to [email protected]
  3. Your work permit will be processed in approximately two days.
  4. A copy of the permit will stay with Branham and the other will be given to your employer.

Important Information:

  • Students need to maintain a 2.0 GPA
  • Work Permits will not be issued if you have outstanding bills at your high school
  • Work Permits for the summer will be processed at the District Office from 6/20 through 7/21. Jessica Morales is the main point of contact for summer work permits. Please note that the District Office will be closed on the following dates during that time: 6/17, 6/24, 7/1, 7/15.